So that you can make full use of the personalized features on our website, your computer, mobile phone or other device (all referred to here as device) will need to accept cookies.
Here you can see what cookies may be sent to your device by us and what we use each cookie for. You can set your browser to reject cookies (see the ‘Help’ menu of your browser to find out how to do this), but please bear in mind that if you do this, certain personalized features of this website cannot be provided to you.
Below is a non-inclusive list of the main cookies used by us and what they are used for:
- We use a cookie allows us to identify a logged in customer and their various preferences, such as preferred language and which product assortment is relevant to them. It helps us to personalize the website for each visitor.
- We use a cookie that helps us provide security when using the website: if a visitor has left their browser open and not logged out, this cookie will ensure that they are automatically logged out after 30 minutes of inactivity.
- We use a cookie that remembers your selections. For example, if a visitor selects the Remember Me option when logging on to the website, this cookie allows us to remember them when using the website at a later date from the same device. On returning, visitors will be able to view certain pages as if they were logged in, however if they view or change any personal information or checkout, they will be prompted to login. If a visitor selects the Remember Me option when logging on to the site, then another cookie remembers that the user has selected this box.
- We use a cookie that is used to check if we have stored a visitor’s data in the secure fast-access part of our server. This ensures a faster website, which means a more efficient visit.
- We use a cookie that stores your session information. This is used to identify one user session from another, anonymously. This cookie will expire after one day. It also helps improve performance, as it allows us to direct your requests to the same server each time, increasing the speed of the website.
- We use a cookie that helps us recognize a visitor so we can display a welcome message and they can post comments on our forums and recipes.
- We use a cookie as a flag to see if the web browser has been shown the cookie warning banner. If the cookie is not found then the banner is shown and the cookie is placed. If it is found then no banner is shown.
- We use a cookie to store locale information, such as language selection and country data
- We use a cookie that is generated when a visitor logs on to the website, and deleted when the visitor logs out of the website. It is used to determine if the visitor is a registered user or a guest user. If the visitor is a registered user then their information will be retrieved. If the visitor is a guest user then no information will be retrieved.
How to manage cookies in your browser
Our cookies do not store financial information, or information which is capable of directly identifying you (such as your name or address). Cookies simply allow our website to retrieve this information in order to personalize and improve your experience of our website.
However, if you wish to restrict, block or delete cookies from us – or any other website – you can use your browser to do this. Each browser is different so check the ‘Help’ menu of your particular browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.
Please bear in mind that if you do this, certain personalized features of this website cannot be provided to you.
Most modern browsers will allow you to:
- See what cookies you’ve got and delete them on an individual basis.
- Block third party cookies.
- Block cookies from particular sites.
- Block all cookies from being set.
- Delete all cookies when you close your browser.
You should be aware that any preferences will be lost if you delete cookies. Ironically, this includes where you have opted out from cookies, as this requires an opt-out cookie to be set. Also, if you block cookies completely many websites will not work properly and some functionality on these websites will not work at all.
If you are primarily concerned about third party cookies generated by advertisers, you can turn these off separately. This is discussed in more detail below.
When you are onour website you may notice that there is content from other websites – for example a video from YouTube or a store locator map from Google. We may also provide you with the opportunity to share information with others using social networks such as Facebook. We add this content from time to time to improve the user experience. As a result, you may be sent cookies from these other websites. Waitrose does not control these cookies and we suggest you check these third-party websites for more information about the cookies they use and how you can manage them.
Some of the other business partners that may set cookies on our website include Bing, DoubleClick, Facebook, Google, Google Analytics, Google Universal Analytics, Google Adwords, AddThis, LinkShare, Yahoo, etc.
Further information about cookies
If you wish to learn more about cookies in general and how to manage them, visit www.aboutcookies.org.