Water kefir, very much like kefir, is super easy to make with our Bacillus Bulgaricus kefir starter.
All you need is water, sugar, our kefir starter and some flavoring if you prefer your water kefir flavored.
- In your culturing container (we prefer using 1L mason jars) add 1/4 cup of sugar (that’s about 50 grams) and a cup of water. Stir or wait until dissolved.
- When dissolved, fill up the jar with room temperature water but leave some space so you can easily stir without splashing water out.
- Add the kefir starter and stir until dissolved.
- Cover and let it rest in a warm spot. The temperature of the water and the environment should be 25-30°C (77-86°F)
- Your water kefir should be ready in about a day. For a stronger taste you may keep it culturing up to 48hrs.
- Add any flavoring you’d like or consume as is (water kefir has a slightly sweet watery flavor).